Friday, February 26, 2010

UK: Diplomatic Immunity Prevents Prosecutions For Modern-Day Slavery

Are UK-based foreign diplomats trafficking women into their London homes, only to treat the unsuspecting domestic workers as modern-day slaves? And can such high-level traffickers escape punishment for their exploitative acts by exploiting legal loopholes of "diplomatic immunity"?

Great Britain's Human Trafficking Centre has been presented with charges that servants are suffering horrific treatment at the hands of diplomats who stand accused of beating and sexually abusing their domestic workers. Kalayaan, an organization that provides support for migrant workers in the UK, has come forward with information of at least six such cases of individuals who "were moved across borders for exploitation by means of deception or coercion – the international definition of human trafficking."

"Many have been deceived about their working and living conditions, the salary they will receive and many are confined to the house and have their passports removed," said Jenny Moss, a community advocate for Kalayaan. "Sometimes they are threatened that if they run away, the police will put them in jail."

In each case, the workers were admitted to the UK legally under a domestic worker visa programme especially for diplomats which prohibits alternative employment outside the diplomatic mission. Diplomats and senior government figures who claim diplomatic status enjoy immunity from prosecution in the UK and no charges have been brought in any of the cases.

One employee for a Middle Eastern diplomat reported that she was forced to work 17-hour days doing all the cooking and cleaning as well as the nanny work without a day off or pay, that she was also subjected to violent attacks by the diplomat and his wife, and that she was barred from leaving the house for six months, except to buy milk.

"From the very first day I was treated like a slave, and it immediately became clear that the diplomat wanted more from me than just to look after his son. He sexually molested me and would become angry when I refused his advances," the worker told Kalayaan.

Kalayaan has brought several such cases to the attention of government authorities in the past year, only to see justice denied, due to diplomatic immunity:
Although the woman reported her allegations to police, they advised her that the couple could not be prosecuted because of their diplomatic status. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) contacted their embassy but were told that since they have returned to their home country they cannot be chased for the compensation payments ordered in January.
The domestic worker was 21 when she came to Britain. "From the first night I knew something was wrong," she said. "I was made to share a room with the diplomat and he came into my bed and touched me all over.
"I was so scared but I spoke no English and had no money and no phone. I was trapped. I was paid nothing, never allowed to leave the house, and only given scraps to eat.
"They made me get up at six to cook, clean and care for them and their children; I didn't get to bed until one in the morning. They treated me like dirt, throwing things at me, shouting at me and hitting me ... I hand-washed all their clothes until my hands were inflamed. If I didn't do what they asked they would beat me and smash my head against the wall. Every time I asked to go home they threatened me. They said they would destroy my passport and harm my family. I was terrified because I knew they could; they have power in my country."

No comments:

Post a Comment