Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hearing The Chains

“I had lamented the sad condition of the slave, ever since I became acquainted with his wrongs and sufferings. But the question, ‘What can I do?’, was the continual response to the impulses of my heart. As I enjoyed no peace of mind, however, I at length concluded that I must act...” ___Benjamin Lundy

It was a shock to discover the awful news that there are more slaves alive today, in our "civilized" time, than ever before. After all, wasn't slavery supposed to be "abolished"?

Slavery seems a universal, and eternal, sin, staining every place in every time. It is disappointing, and profoundly dis-illusioning, to learn how prevalently it stains our modern, "enlightened", age.

Is there anything that can be done to actually abolish slavery? What can one person do, in the face of a world paralyzed by pessimism almost as much as by indifference?

When I read the journal of early American abolitionist Benjamin Lundy, it inspired me to action. To paraphrase his philosophy: I don't know what I can do, all I know is that I must try to do something.

Lundy’s hard early life cost him most of his hearing, but he never forgot the shameful sound of the chains of slavery. And that sound motivated him to devote his life to the noble cause of abolition.

What an amazing man! His life saw hardship piled upon hardship, weakening his frail, under-sized figure; tragedy followed tragedy, culminating with his wife dying in childbirth while he was away on one of many fact-finding trips connected with his dream of universal emancipation. Yet, through it all, he never lost hope. He persevered, inspiring others to carry his singular candle, to follow in his solitary footsteps. To share his dream.

The abolition of slavery must have seemed an impossible goal in Lundy's time; despite all our modern resources, despite the great multitude of modern-day abolitionists, the goal still seems elusive, today. So: what can we do about it?

We can start as Benjamin Lundy started: we can start by hearing the chains of slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment